Should I Change Schools to Get Treatment for OCD?

Transferring to another school is obviously a major decision.  But if your OCD is severe, and you can’t find treatment nearby, you might consider looking for a school where treatment for OCD is available.  If you do, here are some points to consider:

  • Is the school a good fit for you – academically and socially?  Does it offer a degree in the field you want to major in?  Is it larger or smaller than the school you attend now?  What is the diversity of the college population and the town/city in which it’s located?  How close is it to home?
  • Does the school provide the mental health services you need on campus or in the local community?
  • Does it offer the disability support, such as academic accommodations you may need while you learn to manage your OCD?
  • Are tuition fees and housing more expensive than your current school?  If you are on scholarship, is it transferable?  What kind of financial aid is available if you need it?

Some schools and programs offer on-campus treatment, accommodations, and/or support groups for OCD and other disorders.  Other schools offer flexible, nontraditional programs with online learning options.

Finding a good fit requires a lot of careful research.  Ask a trusted family member or friend to help you in your search.  Gather information by looking at web sites, calling school admissions offices and visiting campuses (if travel is possible).  Be sure to ask lots of questions at the counseling center, student health center and disabilities office.

Students who require extra support in academics, independent living skills and social skills due to a disorder or learning disability can get information through:

  • The College Living Experience web site
  • Books such as
    • K & W Guide to College Programs and Services for Students with Learning Disabilities or Ad/HD by Princeton Review, Marybeth Kravets, and Imy Wax
    • Preparing Students with Disabilities for College Success: A Practical Guide for Transition by Stan Shaw, Joseph Madaus, Lyman Dukes III, and James Martin

Back to Information for College Students

Share this article: